One of the most common problems that we come acress at R & M Climate Control Service Experts in Knoxville is dirty air filters. They may seem like a very insignificant piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us maintain comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners notice. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a dirty air filter can cause a number of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you forget to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you may encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the biggest issue you’ll note when your home’s air filter is badly clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to leave you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is running harder as a result of a filthy air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to give you cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a probability if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something breaks or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off excessively. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, potentially causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shortened equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Decreased air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any potential damage that could come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the various air filters we carry, give R & M Climate Control Service Experts a call at 865-229-6176 or schedule an appointment online.