When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations worked.
At R & M Climate Control Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time might not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get tossed about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to go back out of your home, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call R & M Climate Control Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Knoxville, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for threatening weather in Knoxville or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 865-229-6176 or schedule an appointment with R & M Climate Control Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.