Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back into the home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it should have to. While the air conditioner is your best source for cooler air, there are a few things you can do, other than of air conditioner service, to help keep the Knoxville heat out and help your air conditioner last throughout the rest of the summer.
Here are some tips from R & M Climate Control Service Experts to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. Quite a bit of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the very least, install blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The spaces in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Take a look in your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can arrange for a high-tech comfort performance assessment for you to uncover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Check your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that might be torn or revealing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave versus your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that might generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside cools off. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances the night off.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help block the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also give you shade and block some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The ultimate impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After finding out about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option may simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips listed above, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is operating properly and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than necessary. Give R & M Climate Control Service Experts in Knoxville or set up an appointment online to have an expert check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s working as it should be.