Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your residence, being comfortable in your new room no matter the weather is important. However, they can make a unique challenge for comfort. This is since installing ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the increased load, as it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable solutions is to install a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Discover more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition could be a great solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, since they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they move heat to make your room more comfortable. In reality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for additional rebates and lower your heating and cooling expenses for years to come.
Another special feature is zoned heating and cooling. Because each room typically has a dedicated indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is particularly helpful if you have a area with specific temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Having a mini-split system is worth it for areas that don’t have ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s better than adding ductwork and leaning on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is costly. Installing ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the total amount will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system could become stressed. When your present heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your residence in advance of the addition. This could stress your system and make it fail more quickly.
- Your comfort may decrease. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort could be reduced if your system has to cover a wider area. Your heating and cooling could be less effective, and your utility bills could go up since the system needs to turn on more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like regular systems, mini-splits are offered in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at R & M Climate Control Service Experts, we’ll help you choose the correct size for your new addition. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate big energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or more when adequately serviced. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust R & M Climate Control Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you pick the right model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, R & M Climate Control Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide support. Give us a call at 865-229-6176 now to request a free consultation and estimate.