How Do You Check for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a multitude of fumes that could be inside your Knoxville residence. Natural gas and vapors that come from residential fixtures, carpet and paints. Not one of them are as threatening as carbon monoxide.

Call R & M Climate Control Service Experts at 865-229-6176 today to get started protecting your home against this harmful gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Poisonous?

Carbon monoxide might be a serious issue, so it’s not something to joke about.

1. You Can’t Smell It

Carbon monoxide is life-threatening because you cannot see it, detect it with your nose or detect it with your taste buds. It doesn’t cause irritation in small concentrations and can’t be filtrated.

2. It Can Be Lethal Within Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of spent fuel. It can filter into your residence during the heating season if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace fails. While it depends on how considerable the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide may become fatal in just a few minutes.

Once breathed in, carbon monoxide has a half-life of around five hours. If you are breathing fresh air, you will need five hours to get it out of your system. You will need an extra five hours to cut that concentration by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Reaction Can Act Like Other Illnesses

Carbon monoxide could also mimic symptoms that can be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other conditions.

How to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no justification to gamble with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are three steps you can complete to keep your residence safe:

  1. Your house with at least one natural gas furnace, connected garage or fireplace requires a carbon monoxide system. You should have a sensor on every level of your home, including the basement and garage. You also should install one inside or outside of each bedroom. Don’t use a carbon monoxide detector in your home?
    Call R & M Climate Control Service Experts at 865-229-6176 to get one. Ask our techs about our reasonable Wi-Fi carbon monoxide systems.
  2. If you currently have a carbon monoxide detector, regularly look at or replace the batteries. You should look at batteries every season, and get a new system every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide system alerts you to danger, leave your house immediately and call 911.

Protect Your Family with Support from R & M Climate Control Service Experts

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be frightening, and with the recommended actions your loved ones can be protected from the dangerous gas. Take the precautions and call R & M Climate Control Service Experts at 865-229-6176 to learn more.