Colder months in Knoxville are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances taking place during those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is upon us.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace can give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to stop it from happening.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be mistaken for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the ability to release carbon monoxide if the system is not running correctly or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help find any possible concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Be sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Search for any other weird things that might compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to end up adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its top efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the team at R & M Climate Control Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 865-229-6176 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the cooler months.