How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Knoxville Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often associated with wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.

Why should you be constantly aware of CO?

Carbon monoxide can be deadly; it's that simple. CO is among the leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and prolonged fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Severe poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.

So what can you do?

  1. Buy a CO detector for each room of your home. You can phone R & M Climate Control Service Experts to purchase one today.
  2. Existing CO detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced some of the symptoms mentioned above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
  4. Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance in autumn to check that no CO leaks are present at the onset of heating season. 
  5. If your furnace is approaching the end of its lifespan, think about a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a new high efficiency system. 

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

chat now widget box