Spring is wonderful for many reasons: flowers bloom, you can open windows for outdoor air and your utility bill is generally at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not utilizing your heat or air conditioner.
But as temperatures begin to climb, so do your energy charges. Here are a few ideas for saving energy in Knoxville and keeping payments lower.
1. Call for Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your air conditioning system a seasonal maintenance appointment can help it operate more efficiently and reduce costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep energy expenses low.
If your cooling equipment has experienced better days, spring is a smart time to replace it. The energy-saving technology in newer air conditioning systems is a huge benefit for keeping your energy expenses down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s a painless way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling bills. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Learning how to efficiently schedule your thermostat is the smartest way to cut down on energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think about it this way, the smaller the difference between outdoor temperatures and inside temperatures, the smaller your home comfort bill will be.
- When you’re out and about, set the thermostat to a considerably higher temperature or switch it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty residence.
3. Take Advantage of Other Approaches to Cool Your House
You can try a couple other things to help keep your house comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By starting a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which forces cool air upward. This distributes cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it passes through windows. Keep your home comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny spaces.
4. Think About Using a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and abruptly realize you failed to turn up the thermostat. Then you think about it the full day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your schedule and move the temp when you’re out to help you save energy and money. You can also adjust the temperature from anywhere with your phone.
These expert ideas will all help keep summer energy expenses economical. If you decide it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, give us a call at 865-229-6176 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the right solution for your space. And as always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.